Saturday, January 14, 2012

You be the judge

Kelly: Normally we don't blog nearly this much, but Holly and I had an interesting conversation during dinner that we feel could be a challenge for us and to those who read this blog. Earlier today, I made a comment about someone that was...very very false. I realized the fault of my words and felt bad about what I said, so I mentioned this to Holly. We continued talking and decided; saying false things or gossiping about one another is just not nice. It's quite hateful. It's also not Christ-like, something I am striving to be more like every day. Also, as a creation of God I am in no position to judge others; I am not above God nor do I ever claim to be.

It is so easy to say something or think something about someone without even realizing the fault; I say or think things about people a LOT that I end up regretting later. It's a horrible and viscous cycle that I as a person and a Christian am trying to break. I know some of you are thinking "why are you writing this? We know. I'm not perfect either." As a Christian it is also very humbling for me to admit my faults, again, something else I am trying to work on. Then, another thought; it's for me sometimes hard to keep my opinions to myself, but what about thoughts? Saying something about someone that's not true and realizing it is one thing, but what about thinking it and not saying anything? One might ask is that just as bad? My answer is yes. So as part of a personal challenge, Holly and I are not only going to try and keep our negative words about people quiet, but also our negative thoughts. The challenge we have proposed is not easy, but I think with prayer, grace and mind control we can do it!

Holly: Sometimes I just flat-out forget that every living thing, person, creature, was created in the image of God.  How's that for mind control?  Literal verbal and mental mind control.  I need to remember God's word and His truth and shape myself around that so I can behave better.  It's not Christ-like at all to demean people because Jesus never did that.  He hung out with prostitutes and sinners and tax collectors and never said a negative word against them!

BE better, not just get better. 

We capture every thought and make it give up and obey Christ. -2 Corinthians 10:5 (NCV)

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Great post, girls. I find that I think (and sometimes say) hurtful things about others when I'm feeling insecure myself. Something I'm trying to work on with much prayer.

Kelly said...

Hey Catherine! Thanks for replying. It's something I've noticed about myself...something that started perhaps before college. But yes, prayer is powerful and I'm trusting in Him to provide!