Tuesday, July 30, 2013

30 Days of Sherlock: Your favorite thing about the show

Holly: It's taken me a few days to think about this, and I'm glad that it's the last part of this writing challenge, because there are many, many things that I like about the show, so to go as far as to pick just one is a bit ludicrous.

For starters, the writing is practically flawless: witty, sharp, thought-provoking.  Sherlock's deductions are delivered at almost break-neck speed (Ok, I suppose that's more of the acting, and less of the writing, but still...).  There are so many great lines.  Second, the characters are so believable, especially John.  He's that one friend you'd want to have on your side, the one friend that everyone wants and the one friend that everyone aspires to be.

Finally, the entire premise of the show is what keeps me watching, and Kelly has mentioned it already, but it bears repeating:  You start out with a lonely, down-on-his-luck Afghanistan veteran, and add in a brilliant, almost mechanic and robotic, almost too-brilliant-for-his-own-good "consulting detective", and bring them together.  It's almost slapstick, if you're on the outside looking in.  But what happens throughout the duration of the series (so far) is almost magic; they start out merely as roommates, flatmates, but at the end of the second series, they've transformed into friends.  Friends?? Really?  Even Sherlock says it himself, "I don't have friends."  Something I have learned through this six-episode arc is that friendship, at its very essence, is more powerful than any mind and is able to break through any barriers.  It can surprise you, it can hurt you, but at the end of the day, it's necessary.  It's vital for life.  It keeps our very human side in check.  Even Sherlock realizes this at his last moments: that we're all humans on this road called life, and we all need someone.  Friends protect people.  And that, my friends, is how TV should be.

Kelly: I suppose I'll get a crack on this. It's 7:23AM and I'm awake. I'll be heading out for more job orientating here in a bit. But anywho, there's too many things I like about the show. If I had to pick one universal thing I like, it would be the dynamic of Sherlock and John. I must give credit to the writers of the show, because they do such an excellent job of writing this transformation that occurs between the two. A lonely, invalided Afghan war Army vet meets this cold, collected blunt consulting detective and then they become friends. That's the beauty of any friendship really, is that often it occurs between the two unlikeliest of people. These two people go from hardly knowing one another to John being the one Sherlock calls as he about to face his demise. And should I mention that this all occurs within 18 months. Also, it's realistic. Now what do I mean by that? The two meeting of people, getting to know each other, etc. I feel like that in a lot of shows it seems rushed or a bit fake, especially in romantic relationships. It seems it's like two people meet, make out then sleep together. Uh....?

So how does that happen? How does any friendship happen? Love. No...not THAT kind of love. Like sis said, it's believable. It's real. You watch it and you say "that's what friends do for each other." Somewhere on the way side, friends come and go but the good ones, the really good ones, will stick with you. And whether you know each other for 18 months or 18 years, that's just how it goes. And that's what happens with Sherlock and John; they go from being strangers to being each other's wing men, without actually saying "Hey, I'm your wing man." Plus, Martin and Benedict have EXCELLENT chemistry! I think if it were any other two actors, it wouldn't quite be the same.

This concludes our 30 day Sherlock challenge.  We hope you have enjoyed journeying with us.  We have lots of ideas bubbling around, so stay tuned!


No comments: