Holly: Reichenbach hits really close to home to me and Kelly. She explains it much better than I can, but the conveying of reactions that John gives after Sherlock's "death" is very similar to what I personally felt after we lost our friend Brian, who was killed in a car accident. John's reaction is so chilling- it's just numbness, blank. That's how I was at first: I was just praying that it was some sort of joke, that he would just walk into the hallway and give me one of his trademark hugs. But he didn't. It really didn't hit me until his funeral. Sherlock's "death" didn't really hit John until he saw his grave.
What really gets me in Reichenbach is what happens after John sees Sherlock's grave: he straightens up and puts on his soldier face and soldiers on. I realize that eventually, that's what we all have to do after we lose someone close to us. But for John, it's like he's accepted it already, even though at one point he pleads for Sherlock to not be dead. Martin Freeman's entire performance those last few minutes of Reichenbach is just so powerful. I dare you to watch it and not be affected by it.
Kelly: Ironically, the night that we watched Reichenbach was on the same night of the 7 year anniversary of a friend's passing. I did not know what was coming when I viewed the episode for the first time; all I knew was what my friends who were fans of the show told me, which was that we would hate the ending. But watching the dialogue between Sherlock and John on the roof was....powerful, to say the least. Then, John's reaction after watching his best friend die in front of his very eyes was not what I was expecting. I was expecting an outpouring of emotions, tears and frantic behavior. But all you saw was just a blank and numb appearing expression. He doesn't actually shed any tears until seeing Sherlock's grave. None of the dialogue affected me, but seeing that expression completely moved me to tears, because I have been there. I saw myself in John's face. And Martin did such an excellent job; I feel to pull off something so moving you have to put yourself in the role. You have to know what that feels like; to lose someone you care about. Holly and I watched the episode again rather recently and I had the same reaction, because I've continued to know what that feels like, after losing my Grandpa a little over two months ago. That pain, that hurt, is real. If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure Martin won a BAFTA for that episode; I know for the role of John Watson at least. Well deserving, if you ask me.
It's those actors and those performances that stand out from the rest. It's the genuine and realistic reactions, feelings, emotions and thoughts that stick in the back of your mind. In a parallel universe in my wildest dreams if I ever had the chance to meet Martin Freeman, I would say what I just wrote about. Good work, in my opinion, often goes unnoticed. And if you need further proof of how captivating the performance was, read this. A fan wrote a letter to Martin's brother the night after she viewed Reichenbach for the first time. Gave me goosebumps.
An Open letter to Martin Freeman
No comments:
Post a Comment