Monday, July 1, 2013

30 Days of Sherlock: Your favorite episode

Before we get started, we'll give a brief intro. Holly and I started watching BBC Sherlock around this time last year, due to our current roommate being interested in it. Ever since we've been hooked! There are only two seasons; the third is due out supposedly in October, but the producers have neither confirmed nor denied this date. We decided to do this for the month of July because, if you don't know, Sherlock first started in July of 2010. Anyway, let's get started with 30 days of Sherlock!!!!!!!!

Kelly: I have two favorite episodes. The first one is The Great Game. The Great Game is the last episode in the first series, and I chose this one as my favorite because I think it is really well written. There are so many sub-plots and stories, yet they all come together in the end with a Sherlock, John and Moriarty show down. Plus it's when we are first introduced to Moriarty, and even though he is the antagonist of the series you really get to see his brilliance. It's the villain you love to hate! Also, in the beginning of the episode, I enjoy seeing the relationship between Sherlock and John start to form, and some of Sherlock's quirks start to come out. It's very amusing and a great episode!

My second favorite is the Reichenbach Fall, which is the last episode in the second series (each series only has 3 episodes). The acting in this one is absolutely incredible; you're 100% in within the first two minutes of the episode. Holly and I watched it last night, and I actually rewound after the title credits came on just to watch the intro again; yeah, it's THAT good. The end is also what sells it as well, as last night I realized something. Throughout the series we see that Sherlock is often very cold, doesn't care to show "feelings" and is rather arrogant. Without trying to spoil so much, I think that he did what he did because he cared about his friends. The reason I don't want to spoil so much is because I guarantee that at least one of our readers will start watching the show by the end of this 30 day sequence. Challenge accepted!

Holly: One of the reasons I love being a twin is that while we usually love the same things, we have very different reasons as to why we usually love the same things.  This is one of them.

WARNING: reveals major spoilers if you've never watched.  Proceed with caution.

I have a two-way tie for my favorite episode, and they both fall in season 2: A Scandal in Belgravia and The Reichenbach Fall.  Scandal is the first ep in season 2, and one of the main reasons I enjoy this story is because we start to see what is, in my opinion, a season-wide revelation of Sherlock's human side.  When Sherlock first meets Irene Adler, he can't "deduce" her.  He even glances over to John to make sure he can still use his powers of deduction; he can, but with Irene, it's a big mystery.  Proof that he isn't immune to the opposite sex (aren't we all??? lol).  Later, when she is presumed dead, he falls into what one might see as a depression: he starts composing sad violin music and doesn't eat.  He denies it up and down later, but we all know that Sherlock did fall in love with Irene Adler, even if it was just for a short time.  The way it's written and portrayed just adds to the beauty.

We just watched Reichenbach last night, and what strikes me the most about this episode is how Sherlock and John's relationship has progressed from the pilot to now.  In the pilot, John is nobody, Sherlock's flatmate, "colleague" and not much else.  It goes to the opener of Reichenbach, where John is talking to his therapist, and it takes everything in him to muster out "my best friend, Sherlock Holmes, is dead."  It's not just his friend...it's his BEST friend.  He is visibly shaken and deeply hurt by the loss of his friend.  In six episodes, they're merely flatmates to friends.  John's soliloquy at Sherlock's grave at the end is just so powerful: "I was so alone, and I owe you so much"; he's later pleading for him to not be dead.  Honestly, it's so raw and real it makes me ache inside.  I really can't wait to see how John will react in the third season opener; part of me wants him to just beat the living snot out of him, help him up, and then just hug him.  Really hard.  All will be revealed in time, I reckon.

Readers: if any of you are Sherlockians, what's your favorite episode? We'd love for you all to chime in!



No comments: