Tuesday, May 7, 2013

30 Days of Writing: A problem you have had

Holly: It's one I'm still working on, and probably always will, but impulsive spending.  I can't pass up a good deal, like many red-blooded Americans, and I LOVE shopping.  I have gotten a lot better at controlling myself and saying no, but sometimes I can get a little carried away.  I know back when I was a freshman at Berea, before I went on direct deposit, my paychecks went right into my pocket and were gone in less than 2 weeks.

They say money is the root of all evil.  I disagree.  Money is a fundamental necessity, and it is useful when used wisely, and as long as you are bringing in more than you are taking out.  However, people abuse money, and that's when it becomes evil.  I also think the LOVE of money is evil: that is, trying to aspire wealth, things, possessions, instead of intangible things.  I know I've done my fair share of money abusing and money-loving.  Something I'm trying to work on is whenever I bring home something new, I try to take something out so that there's some kind of a balance. Something I also do is sometimes when I go out I leave my debit card at home on purpose so I'm not tempted.  ALWAYS set a budget.  Like I said, I'm getting better, but I know I still have a long way to go.




Kelly: As you all know, I am a very bubbly person by nature. However, sometimes my bubbly nature gets a bit too out of hand...this happened a lot when I was in clinicals while in nursing school. There were several occasions in which I was gently reminded to "tone it down." Not that my personality is a bad thing, but in the past there have been some that interpret being too "silly" as not being confident or not knowing what you're doing. I can understand that. Sometimes...it's also not very professional, let's be honest.

Now I don't want anyone attacking my educators with pitchforks saying "YOU'RE MAKING PEOPLE CHANGE THE WAY THEY ARE!" No. That's not the case at all. The issue was that in my world there has to be a balance between being professional and acting like a goober...which I do 99.9% of the time when the situation is right, of course. Also, in the profession I'm in (mental health) being too friendly can sometimes be threatening to patients. So yes, it is something I'm working on, but in the meantime I'll keep on keeping on. :) 

No comments: